THE SKINCARE CYMRU BARRY STATHAM BURSARY 2014/2015
Dr Barry Statham was a consultant first in Neath and Port Talbot then at Singleton Hospital during his 25-year career. He passed away shortly after he retired in 2012. Skincare Cymru has launched two £500 bursaries in honour of consultant dermatologist Barry Statham. The bursaries are available to graduate entry medical students at Swansea University undertaking a dermatology assignment/project as part of their course.
Applicants are asked to submit a piece of research based around an area of dermatology for a panel of ABMU consultants and university staff to assess. The best two proposals will then be awarded a bursary to help with their future studies.
- The bursaries are open to graduate entry medicine programme medical students enrolled at Swansea University.
- The bursaries are intended to cover travel, accommodation, subsistence and fees (if applicable) to further study, to widen academic research skills or to undertake voluntary clinical experience relevant to dermatology.
- The applicant should submit the following:
- A current curriculum vitae
- A written proposal of the elective or research project (no more than 500 words)
- The names and contact details of two referees, one of whom should be the applicant’s personal tutor or lead tutor.
- Confirmation from the medical school that s/he is currently enrolled on a course of medical studies
- Confirmation from the medical school stating that the research project has been approved.
Please note only applications from eligible candidates will be considered.
- The awarding panel consists of the Chairman of Skincare Cymru, Consultant Dermatologist from ABMU and the Trustees of Skincare Cymru.
- The awarding panel considers the following:
- Written applications of no more than 500 words, to describe the nature of the research project or research presentation.
- Bursaries will be used solely by the successful applicant and not be shared.
- The successful applicant will be required to submit a brief report on the research project within a year of completing and this will be published in the Skincare Cymru newsletter and disseminated via the Skincare Cymru website
- If none of the applicants is of sufficient merit, the bursary will not be awarded.
- The bursary may not be received on more than one occasion by the same applicant.
- The panel’s decision is final.
To apply for a Skin Care Cymru bursary please contact us by email:
The closing date for the Skincare Cymru Bursary 2014/15 is 31st January 2015.